All children have the right to live in a safe, stable, loving environment even when kids are “in the middle” of their parents’ separation, divorce or remarriage.
What Kids Need
Kids need to:
1. Express love for both parents.
2. Remain connected to both parents’ families.
3. Remain involved in both parents’ lives.
4. Express their feelings.
5. Be in a stable, safe environment.
6. Remain a child and not a parental confidant.
7. Be told about family changes such as moving.
8. Be loved unconditionally.
What Hurts Kids
Kids should not:
1. Be put in the position of a message carrier.
2. Be asked to be the family spy.
3. Be told negative information about either parent.
4. Be interrogated after a visit with the other parent.
5. Be used as a weapon against the other parent.
6. Be exposed to conflict between the parents.
7. Feel responsible for the parents’ divorce.
8. Be burdened with adult issues such as court proceedings, dating, or finances.