Seattle and Bellevue Divorce Lawyers Who Understand Business Owners and Those With Professional Careers
If you think divorce is in your future, you should get legal advice as soon as possible — especially if you are professional or have significant assets you want to protect. There are important issues regarding child custody and property division that you should consider early in the process.
Amanda DuBois and Monica Kaup Cary often represent doctors, dentists, engineers, or other professionals who are going through divorce. When professionals divorce, there tend to be:
- More assets that are subject to division as community property
- More separate property that needs to be traced and protected to minimize the amount of community property you have to divide
- Greater tax consequences of property division
- A greater difference in income between the two parties, which can result in more alimony and an unequal property division
- More stay-at-home parents (both fathers and mothers), which can have a big impact on who will be the primary residential parent.
- Individualized parenting plans
Divorce planning involves taking the steps now that will put you in a better position to obtain the property settlement and child custody arrangement that you want.
For example, if you are a working parent who is married to a stay-at-home spouse, your spouse may be viewed by the court as the child’s primary care giver — and may be an advantage during child custody negotiations. We can work with your to maximize your position in these situations.
If you have further questions or want to arrange a confidential consultation, please contact us today. We have offices in Seattle and Bellevue and can meet with you in one or both of those locations as needed. We look forward to meeting you and helping you achieve the solutions you seek.